[GRASSLIST:8774] Re: Querying display monitor locations as pe rcent from origin (0,0)?

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Thu Oct 27 06:40:13 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 05:49 pm, Hamish wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a simple legend for sediment grainsize analyses
> > (attributes consist of % gravel, % sand, % silt, % clay). I already
> > have some really nice looking pie charts created using d.vect.chart,
> > and now I want an accompanying legend in the upper-right corner of
> > the monitor for a screen capture. Is there a way to query the
> > coordinates of locations on the monitor as percentages from the
lower-left corner?

> > I could make a reasonable guess as to where I think the legend
> > should appear in display coordinates, but I want to use d.graph to
> > build a little window containing all the legend elements; having the
> > exact queried coordinates could just be pasted into the d.graph command.
>
> I think the best you can do is kruler and a hand calculator.. :/

[snip]

> Really? I wonder how hard it would be to adjust the monitor commands to
accept a slightly more useful form of location directives... I have spent a
bit of time fussing around with percentage values until I > >> finally got a
reasonable legend...

Well, yeah I mean I spent the better part of yesterday tweaking percentage
display values for a sediment legend. Probably not the best use of time, but
at least I can re-use the d.graph script in the future....that is, until I
have to modify the position of the legend on the display, in which case all
the display coordinates have to be re-tweaked. Argh. I'm going to try
Michael's Inkscape suggestion, I guess.

Although it might be 'fun' giving Hamish's r.reclass/r.support/d.legend -c
fix a go....... ;^)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys,

~ Eric.