[GRASSLIST:654] Re: Fwd: Fwd: Developing a forest fragmentation index

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 03:53:56 EDT 2006

Maning:
> > One of the problems I encounter is the processing of very large
> > maps.  My P4 CPU clock shoots to 100% and then crashes.  I was
> > thinking maybe of cutting the images to manageable chunks and then
> > process them by batches.
Jachym:
> If you are using mostly r.mapcalc, it should not crashe - in which
> step does this happen?

To help debug change first line to

!/bin/sh -x

to see shell script command info as it runs.
Then you can see when it breaks.

CPU to 100% is normal. "Crashing" (how?) usually happens when the system
runs out of memory and the kernel kills the process that is causing all
the trouble. r.mapcalc & r.neighbors only process little chunks
(row/rows) of the data at a time so it is unusual that they'd be
responsible.

Another possibility is a hardware problem where your processor starts to
overheat once it has been running full bore for a while. More random
system crashes rather than a single module crash in the same place for
that case.

Hamish