[GRASSLIST:699] Re: r.in.hdf

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Apr 13 01:57:32 EDT 2006

Sometime back I was thinking about adding Modis support to r.in.aster. At
that time, Frank Wammerdam told me that there were georeferencing problems
with modis, so that gdal did not support it. This may or may not have been
cleared up by now.

Since you have a Windows box, you can try to import the Modis hdf file using
either Multispec or Hypercube (both available for Windows or Mac). Both will
read hdf files and Multispec will sort of georeference it (i.e., put it more
or less in the right place, but won't warp it). I'm not sure whether the
current version of Hypercube will do this or not. From either, you can
export as a geotif, *.lan, or other file that GRASS can read.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213