[GRASSLIST:837] Re: performance problems with mouse query in displays

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Mon Apr 24 03:09:21 EDT 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:27:05 -0700
Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:

> If you use the new GUI GIS Manager (you still have to type gis.m& to
> start it, but that will change soon), you should no longer have this
> problem for queries, zoom, pan, or measure. These are all done in
> TclTk and so don't eat up your CPU cycles. V.digit and i.points still
> run in xwindows displays and will have this problem.

Fortunatelly it isn't true anymore. d.* commands were fixed not to
load 100% CPU during mouse ops. It has just been confirmed on the dev
list. The fix was by Radim:

Hamish wrote on dev list:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-commit/2006-March/021143.html
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-commit/2006-March/021144.html
> etc.

The remaining CPU hog at query with d.what.vect in TCLTK mode (eg. the
-e switch) and v.digit is the form library. According to top, form
takes 40-60 % of total CPU and Xorg takes 20-40%. (Ubuntu Breezy.)

Despite of this, things are now better - as xwindows displays don't
offend CPU anymore (they load max few %) TCLTK form mode has become
much more responsive and real-time editing of attributes is finally
possible. Though it would be neat to have form CPU load by form
reduced to a decent level before the release, if possible.

Maciek