[GRASS-user] Tutorial & help needed::join tables (which arestored in postgres) and export result

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Aug 3 14:08:47 EDT 2006

Is it possible for GRASS to Write to postgres/postgis... I seem to
remember something about read only and then you write to local grass.

Can you clarify?

Cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: grassuser-bounces at grass.itc.it
[mailto:grassuser-bounces at grass.itc.it] On Behalf Of Dylan Beaudette
Sent: August 3, 2006 14:03
To: grassuser at grass.itc.it
Cc: wqual
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Tutorial & help needed::join tables (which
arestored in postgres) and export result

Quick reply, as I have not completely finished these documents --- but
feel free to browse them here:

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/264

there are some sample postgis queries which illustrate the use of
spatial operations, attribute joins, and such.

I am hoping to have a working set of my notes on interacting with
USDA-NCSS soil survey (SSURGO and STATSGO) within PostGIS, GRASS, etc.

I'll post an update when I make some changes.

Cheers,

Dylan

On Thursday 03 August 2006 05:30, wqual wrote:
> Dear list,
> I am still testing, what kind of database I should use for my work
> with GRASS/QGIS. As my experiences with sqlite3 where not that
> positive (large datasets took very much time to be read into sqlite),
> I started working with postgres (and my first impression is that it's
> far more faster). dbf is quick, but does not offer me the possibility
> to perform "table-join", which I need every day.
> I am not that experienced with pg, therefore, I would like to ask you
> folks some questions about "daily GIS work with postgres in GRASS":
>
> * How can I join pg-tables in GRASS, can I export a joined theme to
> make it permanent (for example, I would like to create a shapefile out

> of it which contains all information of the join)
>
> * Does anybody has experience with pg-frontends like knoda and
pg_admin?
> Working with tables on the command-line is hard for people who used
> *other
> programmes* before ;)
>
> * what about large datasets: shapefiles with *qix-files seem to be
> loaded faster compared the same theme in GRASS with its attributes in
> postgres
>
> * tutorials available for this pg-stuff inside of GRASS?
>
> Any comments / hints are greatly appreciated!
>
> Best regards,
> Wolfgang

Dylan Beaudette
Soils and Biogeochemistry Graduate Group University of California at
Davis
530.754.7341