[GRASS-user] New user, GRASS crashes on "Create New Location"

Zenon Panoussis oracle at provocation.net
Fri Aug 11 14:23:24 EDT 2006

Monica Waggoner wrote:

> I created my
> GRASSDATA folder and downloaded the sample data to it, but when I click
> "Create New Location" the program crashes with no visible errors.

Check that .grassrc exists in your home directory and that it says
GISDBASE: /path/to/your/grassdataroot. If that's correctly set, make
sure that you have rwx permissions on the directory that contains
your grass data. If all this seems right, run
strace -v -f -o somefile grass6x
until you crash. The file somefile will contain kazillions of lines
of apparent garbage and, somewhere close to the end, the reason of
your crash.