[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.3 on OSX

Brandon M. Gabler bgabler at email.arizona.edu
Tue Aug 15 17:31:07 EDT 2006

I would like to upgrade my GRASS 6.1.cvs installation (William
Kyngesburye's build) to the most recent 6.3.cvs so that I can start
compiling from source.

First, do I need to completely remove all GRASS binaries, libraries,
etc., and start over (my assumption is no, but I want to be safe
before I either screw something up or, minimally, end up with two
copies of stuff on my hard drive and therefore wasting valuable real
estate!)?

Second, it would be nice to have a page on the wiki where it does
instruct how to make a completely clean removal of all things GRASS
and GRASS related for Mac OSX, and if it is there already, it's
impossible to find via searches and surfing.

Third, I have noticed several detailed and beneficial FC4 compilation
instruction sets, and have tried to apply them to my mac, without
success. This is the main reason I pose the situation to the list -
my grass61cvs app currently resides in /Applications/GRASS, and I've
tried using some of the instructions for compiling/updating from
source and when I run "make", bash tells me that PROJ4 cannot be
found. Therefore, the rest of the process fails to work. But GRASS
works perfectly on my system, which suggests that PROJ4 definitely IS
installed.

Is there a simple directory problem that I am missing? Do I need to
completely start over with a fresh install of one of the Mac builds?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Brandon