[GRASS-user] RE: PSC: Nominations

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 05:10:15 EDT 2006

Hello Markus

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:56:27PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
>> I think being a full part of OSGeo is probably a good idea, possibly
>> more for political reasons than technical really, which I suppose is a
>> messy area to be getting into---but we're already there e.g. with
>> talking about having to have 6.2.0 released in time for the FOSS4G2006
>> conference in September so it doesn't matter!
>
> Isn't the 6.2.0 release completely unrelated to OSGeo? I/Hamish/others
> just think that it would be nice to have a stable release soon since
> the code is pretty stable and since we didn't have a stable release
> for a long time. So it's a nice occasion to do that for FOSS4G2006.

Yes that's true - I agree but I was just pointing out that releasing 6.2.0
at this time is therefore partly a political decision rather than just a
technical one. I was justifying it to myself really :)

> In general, I would see OSGeo as a good opportunity to promote GRASS
> and related projects around the globe. I cannot imagine that e.g.

Yes that is how I see it too and I think that if GRASS didn't become a
full part of it, rather than things standing still in this regard we would
move backwards as the rest of the OSgeo projects move further ahead in
popularity.

> the OSGeo board steps up to give design suggestions to GRASS or
> whatever, this will certainly remain in the GRASS community. And
> the requirement to keep the code free of copyright infringements
> is already a GPL request.

I agree too that this is a non-issue.

> A PSC is useful to decide about the release cycle - up to now it
> was usually proposed and executed by a few individuals with little
> discussion. To move that into a group sounds more reasonable to
> me.

Yes! This is a good example of the kind of decision I meant when I said
things sometimes end up unsolvable at present. Decisions like this will be
greatly helped by having a defined decision-making group like the PSC. And
hopefully more complicated technical issues will continue to be solved
successfully as they are now.

Paul