[GRASS-user] compiling gdal with grass + define grass data directory in compiling options

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Dec 2 11:21:22 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 04:29:16PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <hellik at web.de> flavor, containing:
> hi,
>
> on my laptop i'm using a binary-rpm of gdal for using together with grass. now i have a new linux-machine and want to compile also gdal from source.
>
> in the gdal-compiling-configure i saw the two options --with-grass and --with-libgrass. do i need setting these two options on for working gdal together with grass?  maybe be this would be good addition in the wiki because of gdal being a requirement for grass?

No, it's not advisable to build gdal with grass support directly.  To do so
makes a circular dependency that is a pain every time you upgrade either.

A far better method is to build gdal without grass support, then build grass,
then build the gdal-grass plug-in.  The plug-in is available at the same
download site as gdal.  Once you build grass, you just make and install the
plug-in, and that gets gdal grass support without having to recompile gdal
again.