[GRASS-user] QGIS and GRASS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Dec 4 20:52:08 EST 2006

On 12/4/06 3:58 PM, "Brandon M. Gabler" <bgabler at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> This is probably a question for the Kyng, but I'll post it to all.
>
> I have not yet used QGIS. I have been using GRASS 6.1cvs for a while, but am
> considering either 6.2 or running the 6.3 development binaries as they are
> released. I am running it on an Intel Mac OSX. What total installation should
> I use to install and properly run GRASS with QGIS? I tried using the Mac Help
> text file in the QGIS package (version 0.7.4) to change the library usages,
> etc. I have installed all of W. Kyngesburye's libraries, and his version of
> GRASS 6.3, but could not get a happy result following those instructions.
>
> Should I start over with a fresh GRASS install after a full uninstall? Or is
> there an easier way?

Brandon,

I¹m not sure what your exact problem is? Are you trying to get the GRASS
plugins working in QGIS? Lorenzo Moretti has a drag/drop script to make
needed changes in QGIS to make it run GRASS plugins. However, you must start
QGIS from the GRASS prompt for this to work. That is, you have to be running
GRASS in order to use the plugins. At least that is how it was the last time
I used it a few months back. This may have changed in the new version 8
beta, which I¹ve not really tried.

It¹s also possible that QGIS will not work with the Mac framework libraries,
but I doubt this is the case (except maybe for GDAL).

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213