[GRASS-user] grass 6.3cvs stability

Jerry Nelson gnelson at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 6 09:45:40 EST 2006

It's easy to import ESRI shapefiles. Just do file/import/Vector map/Multiple
formats using GDAL and follow the directions. But...
Grass is much more finicky about explicitly specifying locations and
resolutions than ArcGis so it really helps to read the tutorial material on
how Grass works with regions and mapsets.

And one other thing about shapefiles. It is possible to specify a shapefile
that doesn't include projection information. Grass imports it as an xy
projection (ie no projection). So make sure your shapefile has a .prj file
associated with it.

Regards, Jerry