[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] problems using r.proj with large data set

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 9 01:53:00 EST 2006

Gerald Nelson wrote:
> I was able to use gdalwarp successfully. I exported the file as a
> geotiff, warped it and then imported the new geotif. Thanks for the
> tip on that. Whoever came up with the names for the options was not
> into readability! Is there any possibility that r.proj could become a
> front end for gdalwarp; essentially doing the steps I did manually
> behind the scenes?

You might look at i.warp from the wiki add-ons section. It's a GRASS
frontend for the gdalwarp program. It was written to use thin plate
spline warping which i.rectify does not support.
  http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/gdal/sidescan_warp.html

maybe a similar tool could be written for a r.proj replacement using
GDAL's grass driver + gdalwarp? (look at scripts/r.out.gdal)

It is a long standing wish of mine that i.rectify use libgdal's warp
functions to do its processing. They started out as the same code, but
GDAL's version has been better maintained & upgraded. Maybe r.proj too?
  http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2952

Hamish