[GRASS-user] [Fwd: update of the training manual]

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon Dec 18 02:42:45 EST 2006

QGIS started as a simple viewer for geodata. And that's really what it
still is: a simple-to-use geodata viewer with some editing capabilities.
That's what it was designed to be and that's what it can do really well.
QGIS does not have built-in capabilities for geodata processing and
analysis.

However, a while back, Radim Blazek, who was then a core developer of
the GRASS 6 system, decided to write a plugin for QGIS that would make
it possible to access GRASS functionality from within the QGIS GUI.

And that's what you get today, when you download a binary version of
QGIS for your platform: QGIS + GRASS 6 plus a plugin that makes using
GRASS from QGIS simple and fun.

And that's why you have the "overlap" ...

Hope this clears the fog,

best,

Benjamin

Gerald Nelson wrote:
> Is there some place on the web that discusses the differences between QGIS and Grass? I haven't done any extensive research on this but it appears that QGIS is more about display and a GUI, and perhaps windows compatibility. There seems to be a lot of overlap in functionality. My guess is that there are many relatively new users of open source GIS software that would like some discussion on why the two.
>
> Thanks, Jerry

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany