[GRASS-user] find an exact location

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Dec 27 17:04:54 EST 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:15:06 -0800
Janet Choate wrote:

> I have a list of easting and northings, and want to find the values for each
> of these exact points on a particular raster map.  Can anyone tell me how to
> identify where an exact easting and northing is on a raster map?  or how to
> return a report with the values in a given raster for each easting/northing
> point i have?  (for example, I created a raster of soil moisture values, and
> want to know what the soil moisture value is at several given
> easting/northing locations).
> thanx,
> Janet

There are a number of ways to do this. v.sample works well if you have
your points already loaded as a vector file. If you don't you could use
v.in.ascii to do this.

However if you don't want to be bothered loading the points r.what will
also work.

Please refer to the manual pages for details on their use.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)