[GRASSLIST:10109] Re: trying to read in ArcView/.mdb file of NYC roads

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 1 07:12:00 EST 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, U. George wrote:

> I finally read in the (converted) data.
> got it to display the vector.

Please report how you converted the data. Your experience is valuable to
others, and if you keep it to yourself, please don't be surprised is
others won't share theirs with you, seriously. Yes or no: you moved the
48M *.mdb file to a Windows box and converted it there using ogr2ogr? If
no, how did you do it?

> Tried to *zoom* in to a specific area. CPU usage goes to 100%  To get
> 100% CPU usage, all I did was click on the zoom magnifying glass icon.
> To get out of 100% usage, click right button. this i think should not
> happen.

So maybe don't zoom - the mailing lists are full of reports like this
about CPU usage. Use g.region to reset your region of interest and re-display.

There are several (many) display mechanisms, and so far you haven't said
which OS (distribution/Tcl-Tk version/...) you are using. This is GRASS,
everything can be done, but maybe not the first way you think of.

An affiliation would help too ...

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no