[GRASSLIST:10187] Brief update from OSGeo foundation meeting

Tyler Mitchell tjm at timberline.ca
Tue Feb 7 12:15:54 EST 2006

FYI - sorry for cross-posting.  Just wanted to give as many people as
possible a very brief update.  I'm sure it will start more discussion on
 your list :)

Tyler

-----------------
The meeting in Chicago (Saturday) was a great success.  A few key points
from the meeting:
   * Attendees represented over 17 different groups/companies and over
20 different open source geospatial projects!
   * Foundation name: Open Source Geospatial Foundation or just OSGeo.
Domain will be: osgeo.org
   * Initial membership started with attendees who met in Chicago
   * Intial/Interim board elected: Arnulf Christl, Markus Neteler, Frank
Warmerdam, Chris Holmes, Gary Lang
   * Adding more members and board members will be discussed shortly -
keep your eye on the new lists when they appear
   * Excellent participation from many through IRC (thanks a lot!) -
they kept us on our toes

We are in the process of putting up new mailing lists and to have a
place to post minutes and results from the meeting.  Please be patient
as it will take a couple days to get this together.  We had 10 hours in
the pressure cooker meeting room and very little time to actually post
documents, etc.

There are various blogs about the topic:
http://mappinghacks.com/index.cgi/2006/02/04#osgeo-foundation
http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=27
http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2092&trv=1
...and more...