[GRASSLIST:10297] Re: [GRASS5] New release candidate 3 of GIS Manager 2

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Tue Feb 14 06:48:02 EST 2006

 -----Original Message-----
From: owner-GRASSLIST at baylor.edu [mailto:owner-GRASSLIST at baylor.edu] On
Behalf Of Glynn Clements
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:47 AM
To: Michael Barton
Cc: William Kyngesburye; grass5 at grass.itc.it; Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [GRASSLIST:10294] Re: [GRASS5] New release candidate 3 of GIS
Manager 2

Michael Barton wrote:

> In most graphic programs (perhaps CAD excepted), if you select a line
> tool, it is only selected until you have completed the line. It does
> not stay selected to allow you to keep drawing lines. Again, this is
> commonly expected behavior because it is the way that may graphic programs
work.

That isn't my experience. I find it more common for "tools" to remain active
until you explicitly select a different tool.

I agree. I just checked ArcGIS 9.0 and Gimp 2.2.10 , and the zoom/pan tools
remain active until another tool is selected. I think consistency should be
important across all zoom/pan tools in Grass. I believe all the v.digit
tools behave the same way as the 'old' pan/zoom tools in Grass, in that they
remain active until cancelled with a right click. From and end-user point of
view, this is nice because all the pan/zoom tools behaved in the same way. I
think we should try to keep that consistency amongst tools so new users
don't have to learn different zooming behavior for different tools.

~ Eric.