[GRASSLIST:10338] Re: Panning around a set of polygons...

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Thu Feb 16 03:00:54 EST 2006

Hello Jonathan,
I can only give you an answer to your "newbie"-question regarding attribute
tables:
> Also, and this is a total newbie question, is there a way to open the
> attribute table of a vector layer and edit it like a spreadsheet?
AFAIK, there is no possibility to work with attribute tables directly in
GRASS. You will have to work with the command line and diverse commands like
v.db.select, db.describe ....
Also, the best way to update values of an attribute table is to use the
command line (v.db.update).
For simply viewing attribute tabels, you may use QGIS with the
QGIS-GRASS-plugin (www.qgis.org). The CVS-Version of QGIS does include a
query-tool for the tables, which allows you to visualize SQL-queries in the
table and on the map.
Besides, there are some more tools for tables, depending on what database
connection you are using.
If you use sqlite, you may use the application "sqlitebrowser" (available on
sourceforge.net) which allows you to sort, query attribute tables and gives
you the possibility to simply add or delete columns. For postgres-tables,
there's a graphical frontend called pgadmin (or pgadmin [1]).

I hope that this information will help you a bit.

Best regards,

Wolfgang

[1] http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.4/using.html