[GRASSLIST:10414] Re: importing projection info with v.in.ogr

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Sun Feb 19 14:06:05 EST 2006

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:37:44 -0500
"Chris Fonnesbeck" <fonnesbeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> I apologize for my question being a bit sloppy; I will clarify below.
>
> On 2/19/06, Maciek Sieczka <werchowyna at epf.pl> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:25:15 -0500
> > "Chris Fonnesbeck" <fonnesbeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > When I import a shapefile using v.in.ogr:
> > >
> > > v.in.ogr dsn=./ layer=cntbnd location=florida out=counties
> >
> > Command output please (copy/paste).
>
> There is no issue here; it imports fine. The problem is that the
> PROJ_INFO file does not get created in the new location.

The v.in.ogr as in your example above will not create PROJ_INFO.
It is not supposed to. It is up to you to set up PROJ_INFO for your
current location - interactively with g.setproj (or at Grass startup
when you create a new location) or with g.proj. RTM for more info. Note
that g.proj has been only recently fixed so  you might experience
problems unless you use the current 6.02 RC or 6.1 CVS.

> > It is stored only in the PERMANENT mapset of your location. It
> > aplies to the whole location.

> Right. This is what is missing, however. v.in.ogr does not create
> PROJ_INFO in the newly-created location.

v.in.ogr will not modify PROJ_INFO for current location. However, if
used with option "location" it will create a *new* location with
appropriate PROJ_INFO (if the input shapefile has valid prj file), and
import the data subsequently into it.

> What would be nice is if v.in.ogr did projected the imported layer
> into the projection of the current location. I'm sure others have made
> this request before, and I'm sure there is a reason why this
> functionality does not exist.

v.in.ogr funtcionality is to import vector data, v.proj is to reproject
them. As to me I don't think those 2 realms should be mixed. This would
be not a trivial task to automate reprojection in a sane way. At least,
the way that Grass currently handles reprojection is robust I think.

I'm only a user so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Maciek