[GRASSLIST:10434] Re: [GRASS5] gis manager 2 rc3 - bug fixes and updates

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Feb 20 10:31:24 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 08:57:59AM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <werchowyna at epf.pl> flavor, containing:
> Michael, David,
>
> Glad to see how gis.m is progressing and that my input is found
> somewhat hellpful.
>
> I woould like only to comment on this 3/2 mouse button which hhas been
> already talked about a bit:
>
> > 2) Please don't depend (I didn't say don't use ever) on a 3-button
> > mouse! Most laptop keypads only have 2 buttons! I can't use it without
> > bringing along a real 3-button mouse. That's hard to use on an
> > airplane or bus.
>
> I think Grass is not targeted at mobile computers. Defaulting to a 3
> button mouse is sane IMVHO. Even if one is using laptop, relying on a
> touchpad for working with GIS on his machine is not a good idea. It is
> too uncomfortable - good enough for browsing the net but won't ever do
> for image manipulation, drawing etc.
>
> I'm using laptop myself most of the time and I wouldn't even consider
> using Grass display stuff without a mouse. Same for Gimp or Inkscape.
>
> Using Grass with a 3 button mouse is more powerfull when compared to 2
> button mouse. Sure I'm talking from my very personnal POV but I guess it
> is an issue to discuss.

I second the call not to rely on 3-button mice.

I have a repetitive strain injury and no longer use a normal keyboard and
mouse --- I use a special chair-mounted keyboard with trackpad
(http://www.kinesis-ergo.com, evolution keyboard) that has only two buttons.
And I will pretty much never go back to using mice of any sort.  Using NVIZ's
flythrough is "fun" --- I have to switch back and forth between the three
control types to use functions that are mapped to the middle button
(EMULATE3BUTTONS doesn't work so well, because some of the controls are
chorded!).

IMNHO, defaulting to any specific input device is not sane.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 oooh, the sky is the limit."  --- The Tick