[GRASSLIST:10446] Re: Video tutorials

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Mon Feb 20 14:31:45 EST 2006

Hi,

On Monday 20 February 2006 20:02, pmarc wrote:
> 2006/2/20, Sören Gebbert <soerengebbert at gmx.de>:
> > Hi folks,
> > i think it will be a good idea to provide some video (swf)
> > tutorials about the usage of GRASS. :)
> > The learning curve of newbie's will be much higher.
>
> Hi Sören,
>
> I would rather have a mpeg, avi, divx or other "real" video format
> than flash, since it is  proprietary and doesn't work quite well under
> unixen OS.

Well, thats not a big problem, vnc2swf and the support tools can create other output too:

Type	Extension	Description
shape	.swf	SWF movie (default)
video		SWF movie with stream video encoding
mpeg	.mpg	MPEG movie (requires PyMedia)
bmp	.bmp	BMP image sequence
png	.png	PNG image sequence

With mencoder or transcode you can convert the mpeg-stream/png-images
in every format you want (which is supported). ;)
btw.: flash is realy small!

> As Markus is making a strong case for free geodata, this approach
> should be coherent with our outspoken ideas and ideals.
>
> Other than that, great idea!

Thanks. :)

Best regards
Soeren