[GRASSLIST:10451] Re: importing projection info with v.in.ogr

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Mon Feb 20 16:20:53 EST 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:25:43 -0500
"Chris Fonnesbeck" <fonnesbeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/20/06, Maciek Sieczka <werchowyna at epf.pl> wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:27:03 -0500

<snip>

> > Send the prj file, exact v.in.ogr command output and the Grass
> > version you are uisng.
> >
> > Even better if you could try to reproduce your problem with a
> > current Grass 6.1 CVS first.
> >

> I am using grass 6.1 CVS (8 Feb 2006), as distributed by Lorenzo
> Moretti for OS X.

There where fixes on 09.02 and 12.02 related to projection handling.
Might be they could help. Don't know for sure as you didn't send the
command output.

Can you try a newer Grass 6.1 version?

> The exact v.in.ogr command was:
>
> v.in.ogr dsn=./ layer=cntbnd location=florida output=counties

I'm not asking what is your command syntax, but it's _output_ - the text
that is printed to the terminal or GUI window when you run v.in.ogr. It
may help to indicate the problem.

> I have attached the prj file related to the layer in question.

So I tried creating a location using your .prj with a dummy
shapefile, Grass 6.1 2006.02.20.

The result is:
1. Location is created, including PROJ_INFO.
2. But, the PROJ_INFO doesn't contain datum information (see the
WARNING). To be able to reproject your vector you would need to add the
datum info manually or modify the .prj so that it was recognised by
Grass. Or use g.proj -c proj4=string, where string is the PROJ.4
projection definition, in your newly created location. For hints see eg.
cs2cs manual, and the contents of share/proj/epsg, wherever it is
installed - on my Linux box it is /usr/local/share/proj/epsg.

3. There is a segfault in the end. But I guess this is due to my
dummy shapefile is to dummy :) so you can safely ignore it, I
hope.

My output is as follows. How does your compare?

---
v.in.ogr dsn=tmp/exp.shp output=exp location=chris
WARNING: Datum 'NAD83_High_Accuracy_Regional_Network' not recognised by
         GRASS and no parameters found. Datum transformation will not be
         possible using this projection information.
Layer: exp
WARNING: Default driver / database set to:
         driver: dbf
         database: $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/
Importing map 2 features...
Segmentation fault
---

P.S.

Please avoid replying to priv. Let others participate.

Maciek