[GRASSLIST:10494] Re: help with R and GRASS6

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Feb 21 13:39:51 EST 2006

Hi Carlos,

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I've away from R a while, and now I'm struggling with it...
> I read Bivand's artile in GRASS-News3, but I dindn't understant exactly how
> the data is stored in R.

Please see a note in R News in November 2005 by Edzer Pebesma and me.

> If I want to make a trend-surface analysis with surf.ls(), I need the x,y
> and z coordinates of each point (or pixel), but I don't know how to get
> these values

The object returned by getSites6sp() is a SpatialPointsDataFrame. You can
get the coordinates by saying:

pointlayer <- getSites6sp("mypoints")
coords <- coordinates(pointlayer)

and assuming z is called z:

myTSA <- surf.ls(2, x=coords[,1], y=coords[,2], z=pointlayer$z)

but you can also do TSA straight away in gstat:

myTSA_with_gstat <- gstat(id="tr2", formula = z ~ 1, data = pointlayer,
  degree=2)

(the most recent gstat just takes the location coordinates from the
SpatialPointsDataFrame object.)

There was a thread about this recently, I think copied to:

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/pub/GRASS/WebHome/krigingusingRGRASS6.txt

where a grid is created from the GRASS region settings to predict to.

Hope this helps,

Roger

--
Roger Bivand