[GRASSLIST:10499] Re: gis.m run failure

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Feb 21 16:06:56 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:48:02PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lrntct at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Tom Russo wrote:
> >On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:10:17AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
> >collision of the <michael.barton at asu.edu> flavor, containing:
> >
> >>I've been working with 8.4.x for quite awhile with no problems on the Mac
> >>platform.
> >>
> >>Is there any reason now to stay with 8.3? (nviz? Other?)
> >>

> >The one thing I ever heard of as a problem was NVIZ, and it was the first
> >thing I tried once switching to 8.4 --- as far as I can tell on cursory
> >examination, it does work on my system.  For me, staying with 8.3 was
> >mostly superstition --- some time ago there were strong warnings not to
> >try to
> >use tcl/tk 8.4, and I never tried.  There are still warnings in the
> >REQUIREMENTS.html file that some versions of Linux still need 8.3.
> >
> >I did see a few odd behaviors in gis.m (at one point I "cut" the last layer
> >out of the list and the thing went into some sort of infinite loop) but I
> >didn't play around enough to see if they were reproducible.  I just fiddled
> >around a little to see what was there, but didn't really try to do anything
> >for real.
> >

> Hello all,
> I'm the maintainer of FreeBSD's grass port. Currently the port depend on
> the latest tcl/tk.
> Is it safer to make it depend on tcl/tk 8.3 ?
> Is there a way to test if nviz work well with 8.4 ?

I am running GRASS on FreeBSD 5.4 (not installed through the ports system,
since I like to track CVS for GRASS and GDAL) .  Given the few minutes I had
last night to check it out, it appears that nviz works on BSD with tcl/tk 8.4.
I have not done extensive testing of it, though.  I might have some time to
do a little more tonight.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 oooh, the sky is the limit."  --- The Tick