[GRASSLIST:10541] Re: Labels and ps.map

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 24 00:34:35 EST 2006

Dear Michael,

In d.m and gis.m, there is a radio button for showing labels, you
choose what column to display and its parameters, left, right, size,
etc. Does this make a temorary label file for display? I was guessing
that it was somehow able to draw directly from the database, since
there is no place to specify a label file. This all seems very
intuitive; but when printed to postscript, those labels do not appear
(for me at least; because I don't have ghostscript, perhaps?). So
I've been working through ps.map; which works fine, but involves the
extra step of creating a label file. The postscript from ps.map comes
out as proper editable text, not as a raster, which is important to
me as I'll need to move the labels around later. Creating the label
file is not much of a hassle, except that it requires knowing in
advance how large the labels should be; you can't resize them on the
fly and immediately see what the results are. I just wondered whether
a more direct method was in store for the future.

Thanks,

Nick