[GRASSLIST:10633] Re: problems with GIS manager Re: GRASS 6.1cvs gis.m error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Feb 28 17:38:03 EST 2006

Patton, Eric wrote:

> > > A similar message is produced for every other monitor. I also noticed that
> > > in the Feb.25th Grass 6.1 binary, there is no monitorcap file in
> > > $GISBASE/etc. I believe there used to a be a monitorcap file here a few
> > > weeks ago, because I remember having to remove/overwrite it with the one
> > > from the gis.m tarfile. Is this normal?
> >
> > No. Do either driver/PNG or driver/XDRIVER exist?
>
> Aha. No, driver/PNG and driver/XDRIVER don't exist. So somehow support for
> these drivers was excluded recently from the generic linux binaries? Is it a
> simple task to get support built back in?

I would guess that compilation simply failed for some reason. I don't
know if the build process for the snapshots keeps logs which would
indicate why, or if that even matters now.

Obviously, if the problem recurs, that indicates an outstanding bug
which needs to be fixed. Right now, it's probably more important to
figure out what to do if we end up with a weekly snapshot which is
substantially broken (like the Feb 25 one).

As it stands, the choice is between 6.0.2, a snapshot which is
essentially useless, waiting nearly a week for the next snapshot, or
learning to build GRASS from source (non-trivial, given the number of
dependencies).

I would suggest that we should keep at least one previous snapshot
around in case of situations like this. I would also suggest replacing
the current snapshot with a new version, rather than waiting until
next week.