[GRASSLIST:9691] joining tables after a buffer

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 18:22:48 EST 2006

hi all...  I'm trying to work through an "assignment" i have from
work.  normally i use that "other" software package with extensive
knowledge and ease.  I am trying to make the migration to GRASS, and
hope to help others "jump-ship" as well.  GRASS is just too powerful,
flexible and has such intelligent designers and developers that its
too intriguing not to use.  plus i love Linux so its an easy sell for
me.  just hoping i can get a handle on doing some of the major tasks i
do in that "other" software done in GRASS.  then i should be on my
way...

I did a v.buffer on some points and got the buffers.  i have been
using/following the v.buffer man page.

(I think) I did the following processes correct so far:  I did the
buffer on points, have non-overlapping buffers.  then I did the v.type
change on my points to centroids.  then I did the v.patch with the
centroids and the buffers.  then i got stuck.

I tried to use this--->
v. db.connect map=seep_db table=seepage key=cat driver=dbf
database='/home/jumpship/gis/flsp83/PERMANENT/dbf/'

but got this output--->
ERROR: Use -o to overwrite existing link for layer <1>

what does this error mean?
and do I understand correctly that this process will attach the
attributes from the original GRASS point dataset (seepage) to the
buffered areas/centroids that were "patched"?  this would be exactly
what I am looking to do.