[GRASSLIST:9763] starting with vector data

Wolfgang Zillig wolfgang.zillig at web.de
Sat Jan 7 13:15:36 EST 2006

Hello,

I need to start with vector data in Grass, but I don't understand how it
works with data other than single points.

I want to achive 2 things:

1. I want to display in an country outline rectangulars which show areas
where I have detailed topographical maps (ideally displayed as filles
areas).

2. I want to hack into Grass 3d-polygons (lines) with fixed coordinates.
In a second step I want to combine these get profiles  which show these
polygons with  surface data (SRTM). I think I know how to do this second
step but I did not figure out how to import the data in the right way.

Is there a manual which gives an good introduction in vector handling? I
could not find one which helped to solve my problem. Any references are
welcome.

Many thanks

Wolfgang