[GRASSLIST:9766] GPStrans issues (need solutions for GRASS based tutorial)

Dave Sampson dr.sampson at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 8 15:01:43 EST 2006

hey gang.

GRASS 6.1
gpstrans 0.39

I can download tracks as points, but nothing comes if I remove the force
data as point option.

I was hoping to be able to transfer data from GPS track as vector line.

One track will be the perimeter of a green space and then a second track
represents a path.

Perimeter will hopefully become a boundary
Path will be a line

GPSman transfers in the tracks as lines fine, but I would like to get
GPS trans working...

ERROR/WARNING
==============
min -vt output=track05 port=/dev/tts/USB0
output=track05
port=/dev/tts/USB0
GPStrans (ASCII) - Version 0.39
Copyright (c) 1995 by Carsten Tschach (tschach at zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Linux/KKJ mods by     Janne Sinkkonen <janne at iki.fi> (1996)
Copyright (c) 2000 German Grid by Andreas Lange
<andreas.lange at rhein-main.de>
Copyright (c) 1998,2000 Mayko-mXmap mods by Matthias Kattanek
<mattes at ugraf.com>
Copyright (c) 2001 Development by Joao Seabra-CT2GNL <seabra at ci.AAC.uc.pt>
Uploading Track
Coordinate format: DDD
tail: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1' since this will be removed in
the
futu

re
Attempting waypoint projection transform with cs2cs
Importing with v.in.ascii
Error reading ascii file:
[ -4900635.1925408 9181269.5645850]
Building topology ...
0 primitives registered
0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids: Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   0
Number of primitives:   0
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   0
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   0
Number of isles     :   0
v.in.garmin: line vector "track05 at sampson" successfully created
Creating new table..
Populating table with attributes..
Connecting attribute table to vector file..
WARNING: The table <track05> is now part of vector map <track05> and may be
         deleted or overwritten by GRASS modules.
WARNING: Select privileges were granted on the table.

<track05> columns:
cat
start_time
start_lat
start_lon
end_time
end_lat
end_lon

the dbf file has

cat,N,11,0 	start_time,C,40 	start_lat,N,20,6 	start_lon,N,20,6
end_time,C,40 	end_lat,N,20,6 	end_lon,N,20,6
0 	12/31/1989 -5:00:-1 	45.29 	-75.75
	0 	0

When I force points I get a fully populated table and many points on the
display.

Workaround:
I tried turning the vector points into lines but could not find the
correct module for the life of me.

Any help would be nice

Cheers