[GRASSLIST:9821] Re: Talking about an umbrella GFOSS foundation

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 01:46:26 EST 2006

On Jan 13, 2006, at 10:10 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> pmarc wrote:
>> I sometime wondered why GRASS and other GFOSS project get (AFAIK)
>> unnoticed here.
>> Well, I am not aware of any relevant company here using any GFOSS.
>
> Having GRASS represented by Markus' keynote talk at the OSGeo '05
> conference really helped raise exposure and remind more people it is
> still moving along nicely :)

I think you bring up a good point here Tyler: most people who are old
enough to know about GRASS, but have moved on to other projects, are
often surprised when I tell them that I do all of my GIS work in it -
more exposure would be a great thing.

>> All this talk is giving me ideas... I shall talk of them another day.
>
> I especially look forward to hearing your ideas.  If you have any
> comments about my list of ideas, I'd love to hear it:
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/community/foundation/background
>
> I am very excited about having so many GFOSS projects represented in
> the
> same room together - it shows a real willingness to collaborate at some
> level.

Exciting times indeed. It would be nice to perhaps put some of these
efforts into some new books that add to the growing collection: i.e.
mapping hacks, the GRASS Book, books on R, etc.

> Just to follow up on Markus' comment - the foundation is definitely NOT
> going to be the MapServer Foundation any longer.  The name will be
> changed and the focus will no longer be mainly on MapServer - they will
> remain at the table, but more as an equal player with others.  So now
> is
> the chance for GRASS :)

Based on my lurking on the Mapserver list, it would seem like GRASS has
much to gain from such a move.

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis