[GRASSLIST:9860] r.cost and distance to nearest feature

Jesse Whittington jesse.whittington at lycos.com
Mon Jan 16 12:51:15 EST 2006

When I run r.cost, I frequently receive an error saying that there is not enough memory.  After searching the mail archives I tried increasing my resolution four-fold, partitioning my grids with large overlapping boundaries, and adding the arguement percent_memory=100 with mixed success.  Consequently, it's easier for me to export my data and calculate distance to nearest feature in ArcInfo workstation.

I realize that there are a limited number of developers, but I'm sending this message as a request for what might be a simpler algorythm than r.cost to produce:
    - distance to nearest feature
    - attribute of nearest feature
    - direction to nearest feature

Otherwise, I think GRASS is a GREAT program,
Jesse