[GRASSLIST:9949] Re: GPStrans issues (need solutions for GRASS based tutorial)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 04:39:46 EST 2006

[v.in.garmin]

Hi, looking into this some more..

> v.in.garmin -vt output=track05 port=/dev/tts/USB0
> output=track05
> port=/dev/tts/USB0
> GPStrans (ASCII) - Version 0.39
> Copyright (c) 1995 by Carsten Tschach (tschach at zedat.fu-berlin.de)
> Linux/KKJ mods by     Janne Sinkkonen <janne at iki.fi> (1996)
> Copyright (c) 2000 German Grid by Andreas Lange
> <andreas.lange at rhein-main.de>
> Copyright (c) 1998,2000 Mayko-mXmap mods by Matthias Kattanek
> <mattes at ugraf.com>
> Copyright (c) 2001 Development by Joao Seabra-CT2GNL
> <seabra at ci.AAC.uc.pt> Uploading Track
> Coordinate format: DDD
> tail: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1' since this will be removed
> in the future

that indicates an older version of the script is being used, please
update to the latest CVS.

> Attempting waypoint projection transform with cs2cs
> Importing with v.in.ascii
> Error reading ascii file:
> [ -4900635.1925408 9181269.5645850]

this is where it goes wrong.... it is a v.in.ascii error (a2b.c) but the
script fails to stop. Since March 30 last year the v.in.garmin script
has tested to make sure that v.in.ascii worked before going on.

don't know WHY it fails, but I suggesting you update to the lastest
GRASS cvs where v.in.ascii is a bit more robust. If it continue, please
comment out (add a # to the start of the line) the "rm -f $TMP*" lines
and send me the temp files in $MAPSET/.tmp/.

> Building topology ...
> 0 primitives registered
> 0 areas built
> 0 isles built
> Attaching islands:
> Attaching centroids: Topology was built.
> Number of nodes     :   0
> Number of primitives:   0
> Number of points    :   0
> Number of lines     :   0
> Number of boundaries:   0
> Number of centroids :   0
> Number of areas     :   0
> Number of isles     :   0
> v.in.garmin: line vector "track05 at sampson" successfully created
> Creating new table..
> Populating table with attributes..

Also did you say "y" to the etrex question in "gpstrans -s" setup?
(see the help page about the gpstrans setup)

I have now tested v.in.garmin on a laptop without a serial port (via a
keyspan Serial->USB converter) and it all worked fine for me.

I have found that not all Serial->USB converters work with all
equipment. The keyspan ones seem to work the best (in windows anyway).
I haven't had problems with them in linux, but then most of our field
equipment uses Windows interface software, and a number of the equipment
manufactures recommend/require them. Hopefully in the future the
generics will improve. (loose timing issue I think)
Hopefully too the garmin protocol is low-baud rate enough for this not
to be an issue for v.in.garmin.

Hamish