[GRASSLIST:10008] region changed after db manipulation

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Wed Jan 25 14:34:12 EST 2006

I am using postgres to manage the attributes of a fairly large vector
file. I did a cross join sql query to write a new postgres table
(1,000,000+ lines of data). Then ran v.in.db, to write a new vecotor
based on the new cross joined table.

I thought all was well until I tried to display the new vector on top
of a another vector which should have the same region. I discovered
that somehow the regions settings changed in the new cross joined
vector.

For example location region is:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (mn_utm):~ > g.region -pd
projection: 0 (x,y)
zone:       0
north:      5472414.18182946
south:      4816310.42511546
west:       189788.95409879
east:       761662.27345263
nsres:      32805.1878357
ewres:      28593.66596769
rows:       20
cols:       20

and the original vector is:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (mn_utm):~ > g.region -p vect=mn_btvegpt
projection: 0 (x,y)
zone:       0
north:      5472414.18182946
south:      4816310.42511546
west:       189788.95409879
east:       761662.27345263
nsres:      32805.1878357
ewres:      28593.66596769
rows:       20
cols:       20

and yet the region settings for the new vector (read in with v.in.db)
are:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (mn_utm):~ > g.region -p vect=mn_btvegpt_byspecies
projection: 0 (x,y)
zone:       0
north:      781272.32132436
south:      92363.37677466
west:       189788.95409879
east:       761662.27345263
nsres:      32805.1878357
ewres:      28593.66596769
rows:       21
cols:       20

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before? Did I break some rule
with my desire to split all of the species out into unique lines in
the postgres table, then reading the data in as a new vector?

Thanks,

Kirk