[GRASSLIST:10085] Re: trying to read in ArcView/.mdb file of NYC roads

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 31 09:44:42 EST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, U. George wrote:

> No, not cvs.
>
> Then there is the issue of how to import the data into grass so that it
> shows the road features. Seems easier to get a demo arcview on a windoz
> machine.

Please ask relevant questions. You have received relevant help, GRASS is
not a toy, and you need to learn a good deal about data formats if you
want to import non-standard proprietary formats. The typical way to read
vector data in GRASS 6 is through v.in.ogr, and you can see which are
supported on my machine:

$ ogrinfo --formats
Loaded OGR Format Drivers:
  -> "ESRI Shapefile" (read/write)
  -> "UK .NTF" (readonly)
  -> "SDTS" (readonly)
  -> "TIGER" (read/write)
  -> "S57" (read/write)
  -> "MapInfo File" (read/write)
  -> "DGN" (read/write)
  -> "VRT" (readonly)
  -> "AVCBin" (readonly)
  -> "REC" (readonly)
  -> "Memory" (read/write)
  -> "CSV" (read/write)
  -> "GML" (read/write)
  -> "ODBC" (read/write)
  -> "PostgreSQL" (read/write)

As you will see, the one you want is not there on my machine (and probably
not on yours either) for gdal 1.3.0. Googling OGR GeoDataBase leads to
messages on relevant discussion lists suggesting that the Personal
GeoDataBase format id read by OGR in gdal 1.3.1:

http://ogr.maptools.org/drv_pgeo.html

Perhaps you could review that, and report back when you have a resolution
to contribute?

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no