[GRASSLIST:10089] Re: trying to read in ArcView/.mdb file of NYC roads

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 10:29:18 EST 2006

On 1/31/06, U. George <gatgul at gatworks.com> wrote:
> from the website:
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bytes/dwnlion.shtml
>
> i would like to view the roads in the bronx. I am not familiar with
> either grass, or arcview.
> I have built 'grass' from source.  But am unable to import the LION.mdb
> data file.

The MDB is called a geodatabase. It is proprietary to ESRI and not
widely supported. I notice that the site where you got the MDB also
has the data in MapInfo format, which is also proprietary, but more
widely supported. Give that a try. If it does not import straight into
GRASS, try using OGR2OGR (http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/) to
convert the MapInfo files to shape files, which most certainly will
import straight into GRASS.

HTH

--
Richard Greenwood