[GRASS-user] Can't create location

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jul 5 23:14:40 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> Finally! I figured out the problem. I could relate the problem to
> >> my /tmp/ directory, where grass stores the new location directories, I
> >> suppose.
> >
> > The /tmp/grass6-<user>-<pid> directories contain per-session state
> > (the $GISRC file, as well as any sockets used for display monitors).
>
> The <pid> is $GIS_LOCK, right?

Yes; etc/Init.sh uses:

	tmp=/tmp/grass6-$USER-$GIS_LOCK

> I have added the removal of /tmp/grass6-<user>-<pid> to
>  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_and_Shell
>
> In my PHP earthquake script must be a bug since
> /tmp/grass6-apache-$$/
> is generated...

Init.sh initialises GIS_LOCK from $$, which is the PID of the shell
process running the script. That should work in any Bourne shell; it
won't work in other languages, e.g. PHP. Presumably the PHP script is
initialising the environment itself, and not using Init.sh?