[GRASS-user] Re: proximity mapping / site clustering

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 15:49:32 EDT 2006

Sure thing. GRASS, R, PostGIS, QGIS, GDAL -- all worth their weight in
gold if you printed the source code.

GRASS newsletter: see vol. 3 , the article by Roger Bivand:
http://grass.itc.it/newsletter/index.php

 and possibly the summary here:
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/221

with a small no. of sites, the pam() clustering works well, for larger
sample sizes use clara() : both found in the cluster package. note
that pam() is a specialized version of k-means, but generally more
robust. also note that instructing the algorithm to automatically
standardized the input data is usaully a good idea- but see the
references for details.

clustering around set "medoids" with pam() or set "centroids" with
kmeans() is fairly simple, just see the documents associated with
these functions. the CRAN website will be a good start. also, for some
rather generic R examples and documents see the link:
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/100

regarding the steiner problem: if you have a chance could you post
some sample data, along with your commands so others can give it a
try. I have been meaning to experiment with the v.net.* commands for
sometime now. if you would like i can post it all on our lab's
website, crediting you. or the GRASS wiki might be another option.

I will post the spatial clustering examples to a formatted webpage in
the next couple of days for clarity.

Good luck,

Dylan