[GRASS-user] Removing detail from polygons

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 03:46:07 EDT 2006

Hi!
I have a large shapefile with polygons. It takes a long time to load
it into GRASS with ogr, but my question is other. I only need to use
this polygon for drawing "informal" maps (i.e., they don't need to be
accurate). The detail of these polygons is huge, so that if I use plot
them with GMT or any other tool, I get massive EPS files. I don't need
most of those vetices. Ideally, I'd like to specify some distance so
that I get a single line, rather than a myriad lines. I thought
v.clean could do this, but I am unsure whether it is the right tool or
not.

Any information?
Cheers,
Jose