[GRASS-user] PSC: Time Commitment

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 27 11:50:19 EDT 2006

Sampson, David wrote:
> I have been asked by a potential PSC member - of whom I would be excited
> to see involved - what the time commitment would be.
>
> Great question. Of which I have relatively no idea.
>
> Perhaps someone that tackled the question in the past could help
> contribute ideas
>
> Perhaps some thoughts:
>
> 1. depends how active the PSC is
> 2. Many hands make light work
> 3. We will take what you're willing to give. Challenge by choice.
> 4. Probably more at the beginning to get processes in place.
> 5. A well oiled machine will put machanics out of work.
> 6. The GRASS community will appreciate (silently perhaps) your hard work
>
> Some guidelines
> 1. one IRC meeting a month
> 2. Casual involvement os PSC issues over the mailing list
>
> Maybe I have made this too light or heavy. Input would be great

Dave,

I'll just speak to this briefly from the MapServer point of view.  The
MapServer PSC works exclusively by email so far - rather than regularly
scheduled IRC meetings.  Membership without authoring RFCs is pretty light
work.  Basically, making sure to follow the -dev email list, read over RFCs
presented, and participate in discussions.   Not counting actually writing
new RFCs, I would say this has only averaged out to about 15 minutes per
week for me as a MapServer PSC member.

So, my suggestion is that if PSC time committment is a big factor, that
we should look at keeping things pretty light for GRASS.  So, hold IRC
meetings only if/as needed and do most work by email.

Best regards,