[GRASS-user] v.in.gpsbabel: GRASS cannot find gpsbabel

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 06:50:44 EDT 2006

> I am in the field and am trying to use v.in.gpsbabel to import
> waypoints and tracks as vpoints and vlines respectively. I am using
> Grass 6.1, Lorenzo's 060506 cvs on MacOS10.4.6.
>
> When I use this command:
> "v.in.gpsbabel input/users/chr/gisdata/gpx/060601SU.gpx
> output=060601SU format=gpx -t"
>
> I get this error message:
> "v.in.gpsbabel: The gpsbabel program was not found, please install it
>
> first.
>         http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net"
>
> However, I have MacGPSBabel v1.2.5 installed. How do I get Grass to
> "see" MacGPSBabel?? Or what am I doing wrong?

It is looking for "gpsbabel" but can't find it. i.e. it needs to be
included in your PATH statement.  ("echo $PATH" from the terminal)

try locating the "gpsbabel" program on your system, e.g.
in /Apps/MacGPSBabel.app/Contents/Resources/

either add that path to what GRASS searches for, e.g. in ~/.grass.bashrc
add:
GRASS_ADDON_PATH=/Apps/MacGPSBabel.app/Contents/Resources/

or make a symlink to "gpsbabel" from somewhere in the path, e.g.
ln -s /Apps/MacGPSBabel.app/Contents/Resources/gpsbabel \
  /usr/local/bin/gpsbabel

or just copy the gpsdrive executable from where it is to somewhere
GRASS can see it, e.g. in the GRASS "$GISBASE/script/" dir along side
the v.in.gpsbabel script.

good luck,
Hamish