[GRASS-user] Freetype fonts in gis.m

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 00:06:44 EDT 2006

> Michael Barton wrote:
> > Currently, the only way to have them produce high-quality output is
> > to render them in the GUI (e.g., as TclTk postscript objects). Could
> > the relevant d.* commands (e.g., d.legend, d.text, d.label) be
> > changed to optionally output postscript some something that would
> > scale and display well? Or does this need to be done in the GUI?

I think this is could be interpreted incorrectly - this only pertains to
good looking fonts in the new GUI window.

d.font.freetype + d.legend etc look great on the display monitor -as
rendered-. Grid lines, legends, arrows, barscale decorations all have
the same problem wrt rescaling. Hint: Run a narrow blur filter on the
graphic before resizing and it looks better.

For hardcopy output ps.map fonts look very nice too.

The GUI is very nice, but you do not have to use it to get nice results.

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Ideally, we need to:
>
> a) make a distinction between setting the font in a persistent manner
> (for d.font[.freetype]) and setting the font internally for a single
> client (e.g. "d.vect ... font=...", or the .F operator in d.text).
>
> b) modify modules which use R_text() to accept font= and charset=
> options to eliminate the need for d.font[.freetype] (which doesn't
> work well with command layers).

Adding FONT or FTFONT to GISRC and having d.font[.freetype] modify that
via g.gisenv or equiv. is a good idea. Hacking in font= etc into
G_parser()* is a huge pain when you have multiple commands that draw
text and/or use d.redraw. I don't want to have to retype that for every
command, and I do want a consistent font between different decorations.
Just adding font= for the first d.* command is non-intuitive.

* adding font= to every module that uses R_text() is just too ugly

Hamish