[GRASS-user] v.select - so close but so far!

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Thu Jun 22 08:52:44 EDT 2006

>i may be missing the concept of this, "features need a category number
>in order to be extracted. does d.what.vect show cat numbers for your
>points?"

>d.what.vect shows catagory numbers for the building points.  I'm not
>sure i understand what the category has to do with v.select.

I'm no vector expert, but to be able to do any kind of geoprocessing with
vectors, you need to assign category numbers to your input vectors. All
categories are simply IDs that get assigned to that every vector object has
a unique ID it can be referenced by. Topology also depends on vectors having
their own categories. You can assign categories to a vector that doesn't
have any with v.category.

~ Eric.