[GRASS-user] Can't create location

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 09:34:50 EDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Hamish wrote:

>> I know the epsg codes from mapserver and I wanted to avoid all the
>> typing for creating a location manually.
>
> is the epsg path set correctly? On a Debian system the file will
> probably be:
>
> /usr/share/proj/epsg

Note that you don't need that epsg file for creating a location. The
location creation is done using g.proj which in turn calls GDAL/OGR
functions to convert the EPSG code into a PROJ.4 representation of the
co-ordinate system, which is then morphed a PROJ_INFO file etc.

The *only* thing that /usr/share/proj/epsg file is used for is to display
as-is to the user (through the TclTk dialogs) so it can be browsed. If you
just type in the EPSG code you want, the creation process doesn't go near
that file.

Paul