[GRASSLIST:10697] Problems exporting raster using r.out.arc or r.out.gdal

Tim De Chant dechant at nature.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 2 15:46:42 EST 2006

I have a small raster data set (~400 rows and 350 columns stored in
CELL format) that I'm trying to export to an external raster format.
Ideally, I'd like to get the it into an Arc GRID format to compare it
to the original data, but r.out.arc has been creating files that are
absurdly large (5 GB and counting when I quit the process).  Should I
not be using r.out.arc?  Could part of my problem be that the data is
CELL formatted not FCELL or DCELL (the original data is in integer
format)?

On a somewhat related note, I have also tried to export the data
using GDAL from the GUI (using 6.1.cvs from Lorenzo's 060218 Mac OS X
binary), but both d.m and gis.m freeze when I try to change the
output format via the pulldown menu.  Is this a known bug?  I
searched the bug list and couldn't find any info.  If it's new, I'll
file it, but I wanted to check first.  Thanks.

Tim
Tim De Chant
     University of California, Berkeley
     Environmental Science, Policy, and Management
     137 Mulford Hall #3114
     Berkeley, CA 94720-3114
     (510) 643-3910