[GRASSLIST:10702] Re: v.in.ascii failing on large files?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Mar 2 18:19:02 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:03:53AM +0100, Maciek Sieczka wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:08:05 -0800
> "Jonathan Greenberg" <jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> > Does v.in.ascii have problems with VERY large files (grass 6.1 for
> > cygwin)? When I do a v.info on the imported vector, I get a big red X
> > with "Cannon open old vector tahoe_4_pansharp_stems at tahoe on level
> > 2".  The .csv file (x,y and a number column which should be the sole
> > attribute of the vector) is about 280mb in size (~ 600,000 points).
> >
> > On a related note, v.in.ogr fails importing a shapefile that is about
> > 170mb in size (dbf file is a hair under 2gb).  I get an out-of-memory
> > error (my memory usage goes up to 1.5 gb).
>
> There was plenty of discussion on the Grass vs big vector files.
> Problems you are experiencing is not something unusuall given the
> current state of Grass vector engine.

Note that there is the
   -b   Do not build topology in points mode
flag. Helena and others imported some 500M points like this. v.surf.rst
is under modification to support disabled topology (maybe it does
already, I didn't try recently).

If you operate with points only (like LIDAR), this is the way to
overcome the problem.

Markus