[GRASSLIST:10763] How can I reduce the loading time of GRASS-layers in UMN Mapserver

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Mon Mar 6 04:38:27 EST 2006

Dear list,
I created a mapfile for two identical themes: One of them is a shapfile, the
other one is a grass vector dataset. The shapefile contains a *.qix-file
which was created using the program shptree.
I compared the loading time for the two themes using the command "time wget
-O /dev/null "http://path/to/the.map". Result: the grass theme took about 12
seconds (on a local machine), shapefile only 2s.
My Question therefore: is there a possibility to speed up grass layers in
the mapserver application (something like shptree does?)? The attribute
table of the grass-theme is a (default) dbf-file.

Declaration of the grass-layer in the mapfile:

# OGR-Layer aus GRASS
#_# START LAYER l8
LAYER  NAME "l8"
TYPE polygon
STATUS ON
    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
    CONNECTION
"/home/wqual/grassdata/muenchen/stadtbezirk/vector/block/head"
    DATA "1"
    METADATA
      LTITLE "l8"
    END #metadata
### TYPE Polygon -- LEGTYPE 0x01 -- SYMTYPE 0x02
### singlepolyleg
   CLASSITEM "cat"
   CLASS NAME "Block_GRASS"
    COLOR 255 0 0
    OUTLINECOLOR 20 200 10
   END #CLASS
#_# LAYER l8 QUERY
END # LAYER l8

I would be very happy to receive some hints/tips on this issue.

Best regards,

Wolfgang