[GRASSLIST:10768] Re: issues with grass-6.1.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-01_03_2006: nviz does not work

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 12:23:35 EST 2006

OK, Vishal

Let's see what we can do:

1 - Upgrade to Breezy (this is in case you don't want to make a fresh install)

In Synaptics preference check "Consider reccomended packages as dependencies"
still in preferences: System Upgrade: Smart Upgrade

go to Synaptic -> Settings -> Repositories
you will find a lot of entries, edit all of them, change "Hoary" to "Breezy"
be sure that one of the entries looks like this:

Type: Binary
URI: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/     (or some mirror close to you)
Sections: universe main restricted multiverse  (this will give you
acces to more packages)
Comment: (you may leave blank)

Reload the package list (it will problably ask you to do it)

install these packages and their dependencies (say OK when it asks you
to install dependencies):

note: this will give you a almost-full-featured  GRASS+QGIS install.
You might don't want some of the SQL interfaces, but I like to have
them all. Some packaver versions may (will) vary, since I get this
list from my machine, which is running Dapper. Just make sure to
install tcl/tk 8.3 abd fftw-2.

build-essencial
qt3-dev-tools
cvs

proj
gdal-bin
libgeos2c2a
ligeos-dev
fftw2
fftw-dev
tcl8.3
tcl8.3-dev
tk8.3
tk8.3-dev
postgresql-8.1
postgresql-client-8.1
postgresql-dev
mysql-commom
mysql-navigator
mysql-query-browser
libmysqlclien14
libmysqlclien14-dev
libmysql++2c2a
libmysql++-dev
sqlite3
lisqlite3-0
libsqlite3-dev
unixodbc
uniodbc-dev

Now you're good to start compiling GRASS. :)

create directory (folder) where you will put the sources and compile
them (eg. /home/you/grass_install)

get GDAL: http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal131.zip
get QGIS: http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/qgis/qgis-0.7.4.tar.gz
(or some other mirror, go to www.qgis.org)

save them in that folder

open a terminal and go to the folder you just make
 - say, if you created a folder called /home/you/grass_install:
when you open the terminal tou are in /home/you, so type:

$cd grass_install

now get the latest GRASS CVS snapshot (you could pick up the source
from the web site, but this will make easier to upgrade latter)

$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:grass-guest at intevation.de:/home/grass/grassrepository login

password: grass

$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:grass-guest at intevation.de:/home/grass/grassrepository
co grass6

this will grab everything and put into a directory called grass6

let's make grass.

$ cd grass6
this are the lines I used to configure my grass:

$CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure  \
--with-libs=/usr/local/lib   \
--with-gdal   \
--with-proj   \
--with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.3/ \
--with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/postgresql
--with-postgres-libs=/usr/lib/postgresql   \
--with-mysql --with-mysql-includes=/usr/include/mysql
--with-mysql-libs=/usr/lib   \
--with-sqlite  \
--with-odbc   \
--without-motif   --without-glw   \
--with-nls   \
--with-fftw   --with-fftw-libs=/usr/lib   \
--with-freetype   --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2   \
--enable-largefile

$ make
$ sudo make install

OK, now you have GRASS. To get it better, let's make a new GDAL (with
support to GRASS) and then QGIS  (with support to GRASS).

Run Synaptics and remove gdal-bin

unzip gdal source and cd into it:

$ unzip gdal131.zip (if it doesn't work, install "unzip" via synaptic)
$ cd gdal-1.3.1
$CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure  \
--with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs \
--with-geos=/usr/bin/geos-config \
--with-mysql=yes \
--with-sqlite=yes \
--without-python

$ make
$ sudo make install

I had to configure gdal withou python because I was getting errors.
you can try "--with-python" and see if it works...

OK, GDAL is good, now QGIS

$cd .. (note the space beetwen "cd" and "..")
$tar -xvzf qgis-0.7.4.tar.gz
$cd qgis-0.7.4
$CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure  \
--with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs

$ make
$ sudo make install

OK, now let's just remake grass, to make sure it is linked to the
right stuff (gdal)

$ cd ..
$ cd grass6

$CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure  \
--with-libs=/usr/local/lib   \
--with-gdal   \
--with-proj   \
--with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.3/ \
--with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/postgresql
--with-postgres-libs=/usr/lib/postgresql   \
--with-mysql --with-mysql-includes=/usr/include/mysql
--with-mysql-libs=/usr/lib   \
--with-sqlite  \
--with-odbc   \
--without-motif   --without-glw   \
--with-nls   \
--with-fftw   --with-fftw-libs=/usr/lib   \
--with-freetype   --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2   \
--enable-largefile

$ make
$ sudo make install

And that's it!
It seems a little trick, but it's not...

Now, if you want to upgrade your GRASS, just cd into grass6 and type:

$cvs up -dP

it will grab just the new stuff from the cvs server.

just
$ make
$ sudo make install

and voilá!

This should work on most Debian-based distros
Hope this helps

Carlos

On 3/6/06, Vishal Mehta <vishalm1975 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Carlos,
>
> I will try upgrading to Breezy.
> I'm afraid that i am not proficient with Linux/Unix, and am re-using GRASS
> after a gap of 4 years. I'm not confident of compiling from source at all. I
> tried installing QGIS and that did'nt work either. I am asking a friend here
> who knows some Linux to help me out in person.. but thats going painfully
> slow too.
>
> saludos,
>
> vishal

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke