[GRASSLIST:3] Re: New GIS Manager adds transparency to layers

Ian MacMillan Ian.MacMillan at pomona.edu
Fri Mar 10 19:01:24 EST 2006

Michael, I haven't tried this out yet, but it sounds excellent.  Cheers
to all of your efforts to make GRASS more user-friendly for newbies.  I
am going to feel less guilty about making my students use GRASS in
their classes instead of Arc.

-Ian

On Mar 10, 2006, at 12:59 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> I’ve just finished phase 2 of the GIS Manager update and it’s pretty
> exciting. At first glance, it looks a lot like the one I’ve been
> working on and have in the CVS now, but with a couple of important
> exceptions. One is that transparency is now supported for all GRASS
> layers.
>
>  The second will probably generate the most discussion, so I’m ready
> to duck and run for cover.  Now GRASS is consistent with other GIS
> programs and more intuitive (as much as I am skeptical about that
> term) in that the uppermost layer in the layer tree is also the top
> map in the display. Related to this, new layers insert directly above
> the currently selected layer instead of at the bottom of the layer
> tree.
>
>  The main changes come ‘under the hood’ of this version of the GIS
> Manager. It uses g.pnmcomp to composite a set of maps (each rendered
> as *.PPM files) into a visual display. One of the results is that now
> GRASS is significantly faster in adding new layers, turning layers on
> and off, and changing layer attributes—only the new or changed layer
> needs to be rendered; the others will just be re-composited into a
> display from existing PPM files. This all happens in a GRASS .tmp
> directory, so that it doesn’t clutter up your home directories. The
> other important thing about this new architecture is that it makes
> GRASS even less dependent on the xdriver and PNGdriver for
> visualization. GRASS can become more easily portable to different OS’s
> and GUI frameworks. It is also more scriptable. You can write a script
> that will create a complete, multilayered map, and output it to a
> graphics file.
>
>  One consequencer of this new architecture is that the GIS Manager
> does not currently support display output to PNG files. With GDAL
> (required for many GRASS features) and ghostscript installed, it does
> support output to PPM/PNM, TIF, JPG, BMP, EPS, and PDF.
>
>  Command line usage is still supported  in several ways—the old
> xterminal is still there, there is the new command console, and you
> can add command layers to the layer tree and display them.
>
>  You can see a screen shot of semi-transparent soil vector areas
> overlaying a raster shaded relief map at
>
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_screenshots/gism2-2.jpg
>
>  I’ve committed all changes to the CVS. For those of you with binary
> versions of GRASS who would like to try it, I’ve posted packages you
> can use to replace your current GIS Manager on my website. For full
> functionality, you need a version of grass that is dated
> 21-February-2006 or later. For those of you with a slightly earlier
> version, I made a second package with all functionality minus
> transparency. Here are the links.
>
>  New GIS Manager files
>

> <http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_gismgr/
> gism_rc4_20060307.tgz>
>
>  New GIS Manager files for people with recent, but pre-21 February
> [...]
What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we
can assume it will be pretty bad.
  - Dave Barry

This message has been scanned by Postini anti-virus software.