[GRASSLIST:394] Re: GRASS How to- An Indian example

RAVI KUMAR ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 01:09:24 EST 2006

Hi Vishal,
  I used ordinary google to take a lot of JPG images of nearly same scale.
  Then I have put then together through GIMP. Georeferrencing helped me
  make it a GRASS Raster data. The vectors followed by digitisation. A few labels here and there and THERE U have a GRASS Dataset.

  Ur data.........
  Pl give details.

  1.What are the GRASS data sets (Raster + Vector ) U have (created).
  2. Ur data shows from Amritsar to Agartala.. that is a Map of India itself,
      if Bangalore is added.
  3. GRASS uses DBF as default. Through open office U can manipulate this.
  4. If U are learning, PGSql, why dont U 1st experiment with just DBF instead.
      U can shift from DBF to PGSql after U master it.
  5. v.in.ascii is easy to use on Ur GRASS data, from a cvs file, which U have attached
      here.
  If Ur problems are not answered, then, Iam sure U need help on PGSql it self.
  Do clarify
  Ravi Kumar

Vishal Mehta <vishalm1975 at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi Ravi,

Nice example. One question, did you use the image from Google Earth the free version or the paid version that allows incorporating own data?

I looked at your India example and got the sense that you might be able to provide some insights into my vector data challenges. I am more familiar with raster GRASS operations so far.. I have my data in a postgresql database (something i am also just learning)

So far I have 2 tables in my postgresql database. One is my masterfile, a table called 'stations ' that looks like this: WMoID, city, lat, long

420710,AMRITSAR, 31.63,74.86
421010,PATIALA,30.33,76.46
421310,HISSAR,29.16,75.73
421820,DELHI,28.58,77.20

and i prepared a table called 'data', which looks like this (i'm copying from openoffice thats why it looks a bit strange):

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          WMOID,N,10,0  CITY,C,50  YEAR,N,5,0  YDAY,N,4,0  TMAX,N,10,2  TMIN,N,10,2  TDAY,N,10,2  RAIN,N,10,2  VPD,N,10,2  SRAD,N,10,2  DAYLEN,N,10,0

    427240  Agartala  1995  1  26  8.5  21.19  0  1112.83  341.2  37998

    427240  Agartala  1995  2  24  7.39  19.43  0  1082.93  339.33  38019

    427240  Agartala  1995  3  22.72  4.89  17.82  0  1097.42  360.24  38041

    427240  Agartala  1995  4  24  4  18.5  0  1084.58  377.3  38065

    427240  Agartala  1995  5  25.11  5.22  19.64  0  1155.05  374.59  38091

for each station.

What i want to do, and dont know how to (i looked at the GRASS online help which is just not enough for someone new to databases):
1. I want to use the 'stations' table to bring in as a vector map. Earlier, when i had the 'stations' as a csv file, i used v.in.ascii. i dont know what to use when its in a table in a pg database.

2. I also want to link the 'stations' to the 'data' table. i did this using v.db.connect and it seemed to work. But i dont know how its linking. When i had used v.in.ascii on a csv file, i had defined the WMOID as cat; and then in ' v.db.connect i had WMOID in the 'data' file be the key. But then it did'nt like it at all when i tried a SQL query- it seemed to not like having WMOID as the key, because it had duplicates. But how else can i link the 2 tables?

3. My final goal is to be able to write a script, where i can have every day's data from a particular column, become a vector map, then a raster using interpolation. To do this would i need my intial points vector file to be a 3d vector file?

any help would be great!
thanks,
vishal

  On 3/23/06, RAVI KUMAR <ravivundavalli at yahoo.com> wrote:      Hi,