[GRASSLIST:1038] Re: patched rasters

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Mon May 8 12:18:13 EDT 2006

Thanks (that's two I owe you, I think)

Your proposed process cleared up the fuzziness nicely but there were
some unintended consequences.  The r.composite image had >32,000 new
'colors'.  I used i.group and i.cluster to sample the data back to
something reasonable.  255 was an improvement, but still too hard to
match a color table.  Using 4 categories (the original map was
printed in blue, brown and black on white) was a big improvement, but
the brown and blue were indistinguishable.  Long story short, I went
back to a graphics program to patch the two sheets and then
reimported them.  Simple really.  Lesson learned is that patching
scanned color graphics is better accomplished in something other than
GRASS as a pre-process!

Stuart